Stuck inside, feeling depressed because this humidity and heat in the city is so oppressive? Don’t worry, we actually have a very legitimate cure. Cool yourself off by checking out one (or all) of these 11 bands one of our staff members meticulously picked this weekend. Call your friends, grab a drink, and get inside and chill.
1. Cosmo’s Midnight @ The Knitting Factory – FRI, 11:30PM
Australia-based experimental groove, and instrumental hip-hop duo. Bonus: they’re twins.
2. Marco Benevento @ American Beauty – FRI, 9PM
Instrumentally experimental indie rockstar. Anthemic nature. Total genius.
3. Jesse Rose @ House of Yes – FRI, 9PM
Minimal house and techno DJ and producer from the UK.
4. Special Request @ MoMA PS1 – SAT, 12PM
UK-based underground, dark, intelligent drum n’bass producer, DJ, and musician.
5. Palehound @ Trans-Pecos – SAT, 12PM
Boston-based melodic soft rock band headed by vocal goddess Ellen Kempner.
6. Recloose @ Good Room – SAT, 10PM
Detroit-based underground jazz and disco infused eclectic house producer and DJ.
7. Danny Howells @ Secret Brooklyn Location – SAT, 11PM
English progressive and minimal lounge-house DJ and producer.
8. Doc Scott @ Studio 299 – SAT, 10PM
An underground, deep drum-n-bass DJ and producer. Music for a rave in the darkest park of the jungle.
9. Dr. Ozi @ The Studio at Webster Hall – SAT, 11PM
Ontario-based electronic dubstep producer, and DJ.
10. Yairms @ Cake Shop – SUN, 8PM
North Carolina-based mid-fi pop singer, songwriter, and musician.
11. Batida @ Subrosa – SUN, 10PM
Portuguese electronic, Latin and world-infused radio, video and sound producer, and DJ.